SunPower's 3 divisions are expected to make $1.98 billion for full-year 2019
(1) SunPower Technologies $925 million (47%),
(2) North America Commercial $411 million (21%), and
(3) North America Residential $644 million (32%)
SunPower's Business Model
What Need Does it Serve?
Providing a cleaner, cheaper source of energy: SunPower sells solar power systems to commercial and government entities, independent power producers, homeowners, and also to resellers.
... while maintaining high conversion efficiency: SunPower's new A-Series Panels are the latest in solar power technology. They have an 18-20% higher conversion efficiency than the previous range of SunPower Panels.
Has three operating segments
1) SunPower Technologies: which engages in panel manufacturing, equipment supply, power plant project development and project sales, outside North America.
2) North America Commercial: which sells solar panels and systems to commercial and public entity end customers in the North American market.
3) North America Residential: which includes revenue from solar system sales, leases, operations, and maintenance services for households.
What are the alternatives?
Solar Industry: SunPower competes with the likes of First Solar, Canadian Solar, Solar Edge, Tesla, and other such heavyweights from the renewables sector.
What is the basis of competition?
Competition is based on Price per Watt of the installed systems, the conversion efficiency, reliability, production capacity, and the Average Sales Price of the modules.
DISAGREE WITH OUR FORECASTS? CREATE YOUR OWN
1. How to save your forecasts:
Click on the blue "Try Trefis" button in the header to create an account, then navigate back to this dashboard. Now, any changes you make to these inputs will be auto-saved as a scenario (see left panel of dashboard).
2. How to monitor your scenario vs. actual results
Once you've saved your forecast, you can "rename" your scenario by clicking on the gear icon next to the scenario (on the left panel). For more info, see this quick, 30-sec video (look at the 9 sec mark)
With your forecast saved and named, you can see how well you forecast the company's performance at the end of each period and compare your forecasts to hundreds of other Trefis users who came up with their own forecasts. Lastly, you can share with friends and colleagues to show them how you fared and compare your forecasts to theirs.